‘CBS Evening News’ anchor Scott Pelley is out. He will return to full-time work on ’60 Minutes,’ according to people familiar with the situation.
Scott Pelley is being replaced as anchor of CBS Evening News and will return full-time as a correspondent on the network’s Sunday night newsmagazine 60 Minutes.
Anthony Mason, a CBS News senior national correspondent and co-host of CBS This Morning: Saturday, will serve as the CBS Evening News‘ interim anchor in the coming weeks, the network announced Wednesday. Mason will continue to co-anchor CBS This Morning with Alex Wagner.
Pelley will also report on major stories and breaking news for CBS News. “Scott brought the best values of 60 Minutes to the CBS Evening News, and we thank him for his commitment to the journalism of this broadcast every night these past six years,” said CBS News President David Rhodes in a statement. “The milestone 50th season of 60 Minutes requires Scott’s full contribution, and we look forward to important reporting from him for many years to come.”
The first reports of Pelley’s departure came from the New York Post, which said Pelley’s office at the evening news was being cleaned out on Tuesday. Pelley, who has been on assignment for 60 Minutes and has not anchored the nightly news broadcast for several days, arranged to have his office moved out, according a person at CBS who was familiar with the situation but was not authorized to speak publicly on the issue.
Almost exactly six years ago, Pelley began anchoring the CBS Evening News, taking over for Katie Couric. Since then, CBS’ nightly newscast grew its ratings, but has remained No. 3 behind ABC World News Tonight with David Muir and NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt.
CBS had hoped Pelley’s hard-news credentials — he has won…