Dental implants are used to permanently replace a single tooth or several teeth which have been lost due to a dental disease or injury. It also comes in cosmetic dentistry treatment because it not only corrects the problems that accompany missing teeth, but it also aesthetically enhances your smile.
Dental implants are usually screws that are placed directly into the jawbone, so they serve as to hold or support the artificial teeth. These are designed to function the same way as natural teeth, so that you can still enjoy your food, speak normally and smile with confidence.
Dental implants have different components to replace a missing tooth. These are as follows:
- The implant
- The abutment
- The dental crown
An implant is a screw made from dental grade titanium. It is placed in the jawbone and functions as the missing tooth’s root. The implant also prevents the roots of the adjacent teeth from shifting into the empty space left from the missing tooth.
The abutment is placed on the implant and holds the replacement tooth to the dental implant.
The dental crown is the replacement tooth. Crowns aremade from porcelain and will be custom created to look like your natural teeth in shape, size, and color.
What are the options for implant tooth replacement?
- Replacing a Single Tooth: If you are missing a single tooth, one implant and a crown can replace it. A dental implant replaces both the lost natural tooth and its root.
- Replacing Several Teeth: If you are missing several teeth, implant-supported bridges can replace them. Dental implants will replace both your lost natural teeth and some of the roots.
- Replacing All of Your Teeth: If you are missing all of your teeth, an implant-supported full bridge or full denture can replace them. Dental implants will replace both your lost natural teeth and some of the roots.
What are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
Dental implants offer many benefits that other tooth replacement treatments do not. These include:
- High success rate, long lasting: Unlike dentures, implants will last for many years. Implants typically have a success rate of up to 98%. With proper care, implants can last a lifetime.
- Convenience and practicality: Since this is a fixed treatment, it is possible to continue with your routine and business activities without believing that your teeth might fall out or slip.
- Very comfortable: After dental implant, you feel and appear like having your natural teeth. You may not experience any discomfort while eating or in performing your regular activities.
- Improved self-confidence: Missing teeth can lower the self-esteem of an individual leading to lack of self-confidence and an undesirable appearance; making the person feeling embarrassed and awkward to smile. With dental implants, you can flaunt your beautiful teeth and smile confidently.
- Durability and efficiency: Implants are durable and long lasting while dentures may be vulnerable to breakage. Furthermore, removable dentures are inconvenient to…